India performed their first Day and Night Test at dwelling, after they hosted Bangladesh at the Eden Gardens in 2019. India received that match convincingly. Their subsequent pink ball worldwide project led to catastrophe, after they have been bowled out for his or her all-time lowest Test innings whole of 36 by the Australians in Adelaide in December 2020, finally dropping the match by 8 wickets. That match was performed with the Kookaburra pink ball.
The third Test of the ongoing collection vs England, which begins at the moment will probably be performed with the SG pink ball, which is manufactured in Meerut.
Here’s a fast recap of the evolution of the pink ball and Day and Night Test cricket:
* Day & Night Test cricket is performed with a pink ball.
* The pink ball was trialed in an England vs Australia girls’s ODI match in 2009.
* In January 2010 a firstclass match between Guyana and Trinidad & Tobago was performed with a pink ball in Antigua.
* Other international locations additionally subsequently experimented with the pink ball.
* In 2014 a full spherical of Sheffield Shield matches in Australia have been performed with a pink ball manufactured by Kookaburra.
* India experimented with Day & Night lengthy type cricket as early as 1997. In that 12 months the Ranji Trophy last between Mumbai and Delhi was performed beneath lights in Gwalior with a white ball. India nonetheless took to Day and Night Test cricket very late. They declined Australia’s provide to play a Day and Night Test in Adelaide on their 2018-19 tour. They have been the ninth Test enjoying nation to play a Test with the pink ball beneath lights, after they hosted Bangladesh at the Eden Garden in 2019. India received that match by an innings and 46 runs in three days.
* The first ever Day & Night Test match was performed between Australia & New Zealand in November 2015 in Adelaide. Australia received that match by three wickets on Day 3.
* Kookaburra who manufacture cricket balls for all international locations barring India, England, Ireland and the West Indies experimented with yellow & brilliant orange earlier than there was a consensus on the color pink.
* The motive the pink ball was not used for Day and Night Tests is as a result of it was very tough to choose the pink ball beneath lights. It’s simpler to spot the pink ball beneath lights in contrast to the pink ball. The white ball in the meantime was not most popular as a result of it isn’t sturdy sufficient for Test cricket.
* The core of all the cricket balls (pink, white and pink) is the identical. For the pink balls the leather-based is coated with a pink pigment.
* The pink ball normally tends to swing extra in the preliminary half of a match.
* Kookaburra first used a darkish inexperienced and white seam. They later modified it to a black seam for the pink ball. Steve Smith, who was concerned in the very first Day and Night Test vs New Zealand had stated that the seam had to be extra seen. Kookaburra shifted to a black seam in 2016.
* The pink cricket ball has an additional coating of lacquer to keep the color and shine longer than the pink ball.
* It takes upto 4-5 days to get the proper gloss on the pink ball.
01:58WATCH: SG pink ball being manufactured in Meerut
* The new Motera stadium will probably be internet hosting its first worldwide cricket match. The seats are colored and it is going to be fascinating to see if fielders discover it tough to spot the pink ball beneath lights in opposition to the backdrop of colored seats.
* SG Director Paras Anand has stated that some quantity of grass needs to be left on the pitch for the pink ball to keep its color and final 80 overs.
* SG pink ball is hand stitched and the black seam is pronounced.
* Keeping the dew consider thoughts pink ball seams are normally extra pronounced than these discovered on pink balls.
* India have performed just one Test up to now with an SG pink ball. Against Bangladesh in Kolkata in 2019, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav and Mohammed Shami took all 19 Bangladesh wickets that fell.
* Ishant was adjudged Man of the match in that recreation for his match figures of 9/78. The Day and Night Test vs England in Ahmedabad will probably be Ishant’s one hundredth Test match.