Richarlison’s early strike was sufficient to information Everton to solely their sixth residence win of the season as Southampton’s alarming slump continued with a 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park.
Everton took the lead contained in the opening 10 minutes as Richarlison continued his wealthy current vein of type in entrance of purpose along with his third purpose in three video games.
Southampton left it late to muster any sort of response however might have snatched a degree had Moussa Djenepo not blazed broad, or had Jannik Vestergaard managed to bundle the Saints’ first try on the right track previous Jordan Pickford within the last minute.
But Everton held on to safe back-to-back league wins for the primary time since Boxing Day as Carlo Ancelotti’s facet ended a three-game residence dropping streak to maneuver stage on factors with Liverpool and to inside two factors of the highest 4.
For Ralph Hasenhuttl and Southampton, their table-topping early-season type is a distant reminiscence after succumbing to an eighth Premier League defeat in 9 which leaves them 14th, seven away from the relegation zone and searching over their shoulders.
Red-hot Richarlison edges out sorry Saints
Everton got here into the sport on the excessive of final Sunday’s long-awaited victory at Anfield and having not misplaced at residence to Southampton within the Premier League since 1997, and so they wanted simply 9 minutes to take the lead.
Gylfi Sigurdsson exploited house vacated by Mohammed Salisu after he got here off second finest in an aerial duel with Dominic Calvert-Lewin, sliding a go ahead for Richarlison who rounded the on-rushing Fraser Forster earlier than discovering the online for the third straight sport.
Richarlison obtained his head to a Sigurdsson free-kick on the quarter-hour mark just for Forster to disclaim him a quick-fire second. When Everton did handle to beat the Saints goalkeeper, they had been denied a second purpose by VAR, with Michael Keane’s effort dominated out after Mason Holgate headed the ball again throughout purpose from an offside place.
Southampton took an age to settle into the sport, however the beneficial VAR name kicked them into gear, though Everton had been in no temper to give up their lead earlier than the break, with Calvert-Lewin heading a harmful James Ward-Prowse free-kick away earlier than Pickford was examined.
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Allan and Gylfi Sigurdsson returned as Everton made three adjustments from the win at Liverpool.
- Southampton made three adjustments to the facet overwhelmed by Leeds as Danny Ings, Stuart Armstrong and Moussa Djenepo returned.
Everton regarded to hammer residence their superiority early within the second half, however centre-back Ben Godfrey bundled a close-range rebound broad after Ward-Prowse had blocked an effort from Keane, who glanced a header broad moments later having reached a Lucas Digne cross.
Southampton had managed to attain only one second-half purpose of their earlier 13 Premier League video games and that wretched run continued on an evening of frustration on Merseyside.
Salisu flashed a near-post header broad earlier than Djenepo blazed their finest opening of the sport broad with the purpose at his mercy with 5 minutes remaining.
It took Southampton till the ultimate minute to register their first try on the right track however once they did, Pickford smothered centre-back Vestergaard’s effort to seal Everton’s return to profitable methods at Goodison.
Toffees too sticky for Saints – Match stats
- Everton are unbeaten of their final 16 residence Premier League video games towards Southampton (W11 D5), since dropping 0-2 beneath Howard Kendall within the 1997-98 marketing campaign.
- With 43 factors, Everton have their highest factors tally after 25 video games in a Premier League season since 2013-14 (45 pts), occurring to complete fifth that marketing campaign.
- Southampton have gained only one level from the final 27 on supply within the Premier League (P9 W0 D1 L8), dropping 5 consecutive away matches within the competitors for the primary time since May 2015 beneath Ronald Koeman.
- Richarlison has scored in three consecutive Premier League appearances for Everton for the primary time since December 2019, while towards no facet has he scored extra objectives within the competitors than towards Southampton (4 – stage with Wolves and Leicester).
- Everton scored with the primary shot of the sport, the fourth time they’ve executed this in a Premier League match this season (additionally v Fulham in November, v Wolves in January and v Liverpool final day trip) with no facet doing so on extra events within the competitors this marketing campaign (stage with Man City).
- Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse made his 83rd consecutive Premier League look, the longest present run of any outfield participant within the competitors and bettered solely by Leicester ‘keeper Kasper Schmeichel (102). He final missed a Saints league sport in December 2018 (v West Ham).
Everton journey to face West Brom on Thursday, dwell on Sky Sports Premier League; kick-off is at 6pm.
Southampton go to Sheffield United on Saturday, additionally dwell on Sky Sports Premier League; kick-off is at 3pm.